Creating Resilient & Regenerative Mojave Desert Communities

Meeting Minutes 9/2011 – 12/2011

Initiating Group 12/27/11

Jill, Stacy, Ted, Karen

Treasurer’s Report: $147.40

Working Group reports will no longer occur here in this and future agendas by consensus

Approval of last minutes-**Ted to post to FB and web page**

Action item review: items not completed will be reposted at end of minutes along with new action items.

Agenda accepted

Website update-Ted-working with Stacy to create ‘wire frame’-get text more user friendly-make Working Group URL’s shorter
Advisor FB requirements draft-undone but we discussed the importance of clear definition for the position of advisor to Initiating Group
Newsletter update-Stacy **add photo credit (Doug Beal) to FB page-Ted** All members of IG to look over Newsletter in email Inbox. Send suggestions to Stacy**
IG protocol-needs final approval **tabled**
Strategic Plan update- Eva and Kathy want to help us-date Jan. 5 firm but time moved up to noon to get work done before NoJoPermies pot luck.
Our ‘Working Groups’ doc-consider altering to req. f2f interview prior to accepting as a Transition Joshua Tree Working Group-discussion of advantages vs. disadvantages-**Jill will re-visit our document and insert “screening for consistent Transition goals” language
BVEG -formerly OST-update-14 peeps at last meeting target date for Big Event=April 12 voting members committed to attending and 4 advisors-Morris and Eva researching ‘Open Space Technology’ book for authoritative discussion and book report- BUDGET- discussion of finances to assist group momentum-donation from our kitty, BVEG’s begin a weekly kitty (maybe more than $1/wk) Kickstarter campaign with matching donation from our kitty-unresolved **Jill to take discussion of BVEG budget back to BVEG.** Discussion of BVEG as working group or not resolved by decision that BVEG is ‘Project Group’-addition to Constitution made by Stacy during meeting

New Biz
Proposal for February PermaCulture Workshop-on Jill’s land with Daniel Francis-Sliding scale on the honor system $50-$75 -10-20people-workshop will teach greywater and rainwater for watering food guild-Jill preparing lunch for participants-discussion and consensus that this will be TJT project and **Jill owns-will do marketing and sign-ups**

Action Items from last meeting and this meeting:
**Jill-get names of new Food Group members for newsletter-working with Janet
**Stacy-create document addressing requirements to be advisor to IG-will be posted to FB page
**Ted-place photo of Janet with produce on main web page
**Stacy-newsletter to include info on Food Group Seed Exchange
**Jill-get Food Group info and date to Stacy on Seed Exchange
**Stacy-newsletter ready for Jan. 10-on track
**Stacy-consider as content: Working Group doc.
**Ted-add newest approved minutes to TJT web site and FB
**Stacy-digest IG doc. and post to web when complete
**Jill-send reading packet to advisors/invite to Strategic Planning 1/5/12
** Ted-add photo credit (Doug Beal) to FB page
** All – look over Newsletter in email Inbox. Send suggestions to Stacy
**All-IG protocol-needs final approval-tabled
**Jill-re-visit W.G. doc and insert “screening for consistent Transition goals” language
**Jill to take discussion of BVEG budget back to BVEG.
**Jill owns Feb. PermaCulture workshop-will do marketing and sign-ups**

*******************************

Initiating Group 12/13/11

Lynn, Jill, Ted, Karen, Stacy,
Advisor Tim

Treasurer’s Report: $172.40-Payout to Ted $30 Balance $142.40

Food Group Report: they are trying to get organized, they have a number of new members, **Jill-get new members names for the newsletter**
elementary school gardens continue but without composting, they do not have funds to buy barrel composters, thoughts on fundraising: ask for donations on FB page, start a Kickstarter campaign to raise $100

Previous minutes 11/29/11 approved

Action Items from last all accomplished

Old Biz:

Discussion of IG membership and advisors to IG protocols, needs a document to be posted to minutes for transparency **Stacy to create document to announce advisors and req. to be advisor to IG for FB page**

Lynn will be stepping down from IG for at least 6 months. She has obligation to new clergy in training format-check back with her in April

T4T payout-perhaps last update, check from VegOnline arrived, sent to Scott but short $157 due to math error? Douglas contributed $100 to cover shortfall to Scott, we still owe TUS $600 but Scott has not checked on donations at TUS to see if we have any funds there. Jill suggests we wait till after Jan. 1 to address this issue

Website update-Ted-Did the upgrade on WordPress, changed some graphics and gray text, Stacy to work with Ted to update info and photos **Ted to put picture of Janet with produce on Food group page**, Stacy suggests there be a minimum quota before a page can exists, she will assist with structural problems, wire diagram

Newsletter update-Stacy, edited out some old content so newletter will be news and not old info, **new info to include Food Group event Seed Exchange** First edition to be ready for Jan. 10 meeting after that ready each quarter on the calendar **Consider for content the document already posted “How to Create a Working Group”**

OST update-going amazingly well, facilitated meetings have established AIM, now working on logistics and first event planning

Minutes Clarification: **Ted to add approved minutes to TJT website and post to FB page**

IG members responsibilities: document almost ready. ** Stacy to digest and post to web when completed**

Strategic Planning: refer back to Affinity Diagram and previous strategic planning documents, discussion of using these or starting over as we are now trained.
Firm Date: Thurs. Jan. 5 2p.m. **Jill to send reading packet to advisors and invite them** Drivers are now different; Goal to be how to become and Administrative body and get other groups to take over specific events going forward,

Food Group needs to be represented at these talks per our governance document.

Discussion of Eva and Kathy facilitating our Strategic Planning Session **Jill to confirm that Eva wants to be IG or IG advisor and can be available on Jan 5**

Change Charter: 5 working groups before IG is out of a job then there are enough reps to take over the work instead of 3 working groups a previously spelled out in our Charter **Jill to re-write that section of the Charter**

Action Items:
**Jill-get new members (to Food Group) names for the newsletter**
**Stacy to create document: requirements to be advisor to IG for FB page**
**Ted to put picture of Janet with produce on Food group page**
**Stacy, newsletter: new info to include Food Group event Seed Exchange**
**Stacy-First edition to be ready for Jan. 10**
**Stacy-Consider for content: “How to Create a Working Group”**
**Ted to add approved minutes to TJT website and post to FB**
** Stacy to digest IG Doc and post to web when completed**
**Jill to send reading packet to advisors and invite them to Strategic Planning 1/5/12**
**Jill to confirm that Eva wants to be IG or IG advisor and can be available on Jan 5**
**Jill to re-write that section of the Charter-number of Working Groups from 3 to 5**

************************************

Initiating Group 11/29/11

Ted, Karen, Jill via SKYPE
2 guests, Eva Montville and Kathy at Eva and Kathy’s house

Treasurer’s Report: Collected $4.00 to be added to kitty 
thank you Eva and Kathy

Food Group Report: Ted is now in contact with Spider on the Food Group; she is preparing to send web material for Ted to post
Jill added Spider to TJT admin.

Minutes from 11/22/11 approved

Action Items reviewed-almost all completed
2 repeat action items:
**Jill-create Minute Log 2**
**Ted-upgrade WordPress account and get reimbursed**

Gmail Draft reviewed and finalized for sending to entire list

T4T PayOut update
unknown if RegOnline check is in Stacy’s mailbox. Scott is very upset over delays. payout is incomplete

Revised OST agenda
decision making will be first group issue-settle on suggesting consensus minus 2 in consideration of how large the number of people participating for ’big’ decisions and raising hands for less important administrative decisions

purpose statement-core of this meeting-80 minutes allowed-
Eva’s model for consolidating purpose-generation:
Aim-”aiming for something”-what needs to be transformed
How-outcome is clear if there is a shared understanding
Why-shared understanding creates a state-collectively creates committment

Are we ready to direct this group to take on the Great Unleashing?

Web Update
Ted posted a few of the Food Group pictures
other items from last week have been added
Friday (payday) Ted will do the WordPress update and complete the website

IG members responsibilities
“wonderful set of principles” Eva
needs some sweetening-decided on “Celebrate Accomplishments” for social fun time
**Ted to send IG requirements to Eva**
**Karen to send Ted Eva’s email address**

New Biz

Jill-Occupy and Transition
an ongoing discussion on Transition list serve-needs discussion-tabled

**Jill to add John Schuster to IG**

Next meeting-Lynn available and Karen not available

Action Items
**Jill-create Minute Log 2**
**Ted-upgrade WordPress account and get reimbursed**
**Jill-add John Schuster to IG**

*******************************************

Initiating Group 11/29/11

Ted, Karen, Jill via SKYPE
2 guests, Eva Montville and Kathy at Eva and Kathy’s house

Treasurer’s Report: Collected $4.00 to be added to kitty
thank you Eva and Kathy

Food Group Report: Ted is now in contact with Spider on the Food Group; she is preparing to send web material for Ted to post
Jill added Spider to TJT admin.

Minutes from 11/22/11 approved

Action Items reviewed-almost all completed
2 repeat action items:
**Jill-create Minute Log 2**
**Ted-upgrade WordPress account and get reimbursed**

Gmail Draft reviewed and finalized for sending to entire list

T4T PayOut update
unknown if RegOnline check is in Stacy’s mailbox. Scott is very upset over delays. payout is incomplete

Revised OST agenda
decision making will be first group issue-settle on suggesting consensus minus 2 in consideration of how large the number of people participating for ’big’ decisions and raising hands for less important administrative decisions

purpose statement-core of this meeting-80 minutes allowed-
Eva’s model for consolidating purpose-generation:
Aim-”aiming for something”-what needs to be transformed
How-outcome is clear if there is a shared understanding
Why-shared understanding creates a state-collectively creates committment

Are we ready to direct this group to take on the Great Unleashing?

Web Update
Ted posted a few of the Food Group pictures
other items from last week have been added
Friday (payday) Ted will do the WordPress update and complete the website

IG members responsibilities
“wonderful set of principles” Eva
needs some sweetening-decided on “Celebrate Accomplishments” for social fun time
**Ted to send IG requirements to Eva**
**Karen to send Ted Eva’s email address**

New Biz

Jill-Occupy and Transition
an ongoing discussion on Transition list serve-needs discussion-tabled

**Jill to add John Schuster to IG**

Next meeting-Lynn available and Karen not available

Action Items
**Jill-create Minute Log 2**
**Ted-upgrade WordPress account and get reimbursed**
**Jill-add John Schuster to IG**

***********************************************************

Initiating Group 11/22/11

Ted, Jill, Lynn, Karen

Treasurer’s Report: $157.40

Food Group Report: Jill gets info from FG contact Deb Bollinger
FG designates Spider as contact person-reports via fb
**Ted-create contact on website between TJT and FG**
FG aware that diluting efforts by working outside JT can be counterproductive
-encourage outside groups to start their own Transition
FG planning another seed swap
FG planning an autumn Harvest Party at their elementary school gardens

Point of Order: minutes from last meeting will be approved at current meeting and then posted rather than awaiting approval online

T4T payout update-RegOnline continued unexplained screw-up means we still owe Scott. All others paid except outstanding arrangement w/TUS

**Karen-add Tim DeLo to fb page**

Discussion of purpose of adding or being opposed to adding others to fb page
Decision to call non-IG members on fb page: advisor

**Ted will understand and undertake the changes to web site lightly touched on here:**
Web site update-tweaking of drop-down menus, names for topics in menu bar, T4T will be called T4T Wrap-Up, add numbers to poll page, remove contact page and unprotect, re-name Resources=Informative Articles

WordPress upgrade discussion-for $30 more we can add colors and fonts
current level of subscription will not permit us to use black or color or underline links
**Ted will upgrade and be reimburse from kitty**

**Ted-send out new header banner w/Jill’s logo**

**Jill will create new Doc on fb to see if we can post minutes to Minute Doc 2**

**Wordpress.com vs. WordPress.org homework for all and decide**

Discussion of Open Space Technology draft agenda-Jill created document h/o
some cuts and adjustments
Meeting on Nov. 30 will be eventually split into 2 groups
Catherine Svehla wants to be on outreach and has offered to write a song for TJT
maybe to be performed by Dana on ukulele? :-)

**Gmail update- to all- to say ‘Hi, we’re still here and busy’ Karen to write and post to private fb page for approval and input before sending out**

New Biz

General Dollar Store-long discussion of pros and cons-who has designed a petition for the low income demographic that only has one choice: how to get the cheapest food?

Point of Order-respond to communications w/ ‘I received the message’ habitually

Discussion of what prospective members of IG need to know/expect
**Jill-creates a draft doc. on our private fb page: list of expectations fro prospective IG members-we all contribute online for discussion next week**

Action Items:

Ted-link food group to FB page
Karen-add Tim to jtfb page
Ted-tweak website, upgrade WordPress & get reimbursed
Ted-send rest of IG new header w/Jill’s logo
Jill-create MinuteLog2
All-Wordpress.com vs. WordPress.org study
Karen-gmail and FB update/annouce to entire list
All-contribute to list of new IG members expectations

***************************************************************

Transition Steering 11/15/11

Jill, Ted, Karen
guest Doug B.

old Action Item: Set up 1st meeting of Open Space/Outreach group-done

T4T Budget update: RegOnline still owes us $800-very slow in coming-to be sent on Nov. 15 then we will send it along to pay Scott his Training fees. Shaktari has been paid.
Still owe Scott $157 after RegOnline
Still owe TUS $588
Final payments to be tax-deductible contributions from Jill & others (TJT members)
Carl says TUS will be able to track these contributions for reporting back to us our debt

Pot-Luck Follow-up
Very favorable evaluations from Jill, Karen, Doug
We desired a committee to help with future planning and that’s what we got-yay us!

**new action item-Karen owns-ask Tim if he would like to be on the IG fb page**

Open Space/Outreach group first meeting at John Schuster’s on 11/30
possible plan to split the 9 volunteers into 2 groups
Open Space Technology meeting not aiming for January any longer, will be later
Stacy owner of Outreach
Jill owner of Open Space
possible plan to change the name to something more appropriate-catchy to avoid confusion with current Open Space group already formed here

Website-Ted owns
post to our website “How to start a working group” doc
**Jill to forward doc. to Ted**
post link to TUS working groups webinar
post link to TUS governance toolkit
post an event calendar
define/clarify destination for Open Space ppt from web to download
**Ted-study other TT websites and Palm Springs Green Scene**
suggested Los Angeles and Culver City with an eye toward esthetics, clarity, navigation tools
post link to our mission statement and Vision statement
post all past IG meeting minutes **Jill owns cleaning up past entries**
post more pictures maybe even a short video
post links and articles from our FB page
post newsletter-Stacy located the software to make the newsletter happen
what can reasonably get done before next Tues:
**working grp.document**
**TUS webinar on working grps.**
**Vision & Mission Statements**

**another WordPress upgrade-Ted to investigate price and what we would get**
**event calendar widget that can be updated with events-Ted will look for**
**French farm website as example-Jill to send link to their WordPress site to Ted**

New Biz

IG by consensus will not implement any further events for the time being
Event planning may fall under purview of new Outreach grp.
**Jill will send all 9 members a link to the governance toolkit so they know how mtg. runs**
Suggest to Stacy that she steer Outreach grp. to staging regular monthly (?)events-movie nights for example
**Jill to ask Food Group if they would like to take on another public event**
**Stacy owns newsletter which needs front page article to reflect Training in Oct.**
**Jill write draft agenda for 11/30 to be ready by 11/22**

ACTION ITEMS:
Karen owns-ask Tim if he would like to be on the IG fb page
Jill to forward working groups doc. to Ted
Ted-study other TT websites and Palm Springs Green Scene
suggested Los Angeles and Culver City
Ted-what can reasonably be posted to website before next Tues:
**working grp.document**
**TUS webinar on working grps.**
**Vision & Mission Statements**
Ted-investigate price of another WordPress upgrade and what we would get
Ted will look for event calendar widget that can be updated
Jill to send link to French farm WordPress site to Ted
Jill will send all 9 members a link to the governance toolkit
Jill ask Food Group if they would like to stage another public event
Stacy owns newsletter which needs front page article to reflect Training in Oct.
Jill write draft agenda for 11/30 to be ready by 11/22

Respectfully submitted
Karen Tracy

minutes of Steering 11/1/11 including action items:

Transition Steering 11/1/11

Jill, Lynn, Ted, Karen
special guest: Tim D.

Treasurer’s Report: 153.40

Food Group Report: FG is actively looking for a location for a community garden

T4T Wrap-Up:
$600 short fall-when collected, will all go to TUS for 10% of ticket sales
Possible resolution: ask gmail list to contribute to TUS using “Dedication” button
**Jill to verify w/Scott McK. that these funds can reliably be accurately be tracked
other possible resolutions discussed-Jill not able to donate $200 noted before
**Jill to write request for donations letter to gmail list**
**RegOnline still owes us-Jill to verify that money is coming**

Pot Luck Planning
**Karen owns presentation for OST plans for January
**Look for short video on OST-Stacy?**
**Jill to call Craig to own Closing Circle**

New Biz
**Jill to ask Food Group to vote rep. to Steering**

Travis’ plan for Art in Public Places Grant
**Jill to ask Scott about TUS sponsoring TJT to receive grant
**Karen to send Tim grant info for writing LOI and working w/Travis

Action Items:
Jill-verify w/Scott McK that funds donated to TUS on our behalf can reliably be tracked
Jill-write draft request for donations to TUS using gmail account
Jill-verify that RegOnline still sending us $
Karen-prepare for presentation at pot luck this Sunday outlining OST for Jan.
Stacy&Karen-look for short vid. on OST
Jill-check w/Craig about running the closing circle asking “How is JT a Town in the Transition Model” -model to be outlined on flip chart page using 12 ingredients from ‘Transition Companion’
Jill-ask Scott McK about TUS fiscally sponsoring us to receive APA grant money
Karen-send Tim grant info via email

Respectfully Submitted
Karen Tracy

Minutes from Steering Committee 10/25/11

Transition Steering 10/25/11

Jill, Stacy, Ted, Karen
guests, Tim dL. Laura E. Craig D.

Treasurer’s Report: $149.40

Food Group Report: press release about their gardens at 2 elementary schools complete, ready for release
they are considering taking away the tire-garden in back of Ric

New Biz:

Training Follow-up Pot Luck Nov. 6 6:00p.m.-9:00p.m.
Discussions of carrying on the residual energy of the Training with phrases like:
reconnect w/people we met-begin talking to others we do not know as well, harness the energy-not diminish it-nurture what happened-bring a friend and bring that person “up to speed about Transition”-perpetuate good feelings-encourage those who are “chomping at the bit”

Format discussions resulted in consensus for Pot Luck:
Pot Luck-enjoy dinner and slide show going on during eating
Explain January target date for ‘‘REAL Open Space Technology”
Pages of topics and recorded notes from trial O.S. posted around the room
Harness energy of those “chomping at the bit” to help w/January event
Closing circle-everyone has 10 words to answer:
“How is JT already a town in the Transition Model?” to encourage no spectators

Bringing in the Trainees: email to all attendees** Stacy-action item**goes out no later than this Sunday 10/29
to contain: agenda/timeline
Shaktari’s answer to questions
Open Space Power Point
Completed Contact list
Link to Event photos

Training Follow-up Pot Luck has as objective:
a. promoting satisfaction for what has been accomplished
generating enthusiasm for Open Space Technology in Jan. to generate Working Groups
understanding that ‘working groups’ must not be exclusive but flexible, adaptive, with ongoing diversity-minimum 3-4 people-with feedback loop to Initiating Group intact
cultivate desire to be conversant/knowledgable in Transition Model
EARTH CARE PEOPLE CARE FAIR SHARE-more about values, less about structure

Old Biz:

Phone calls to Thomas, Tim, Kristen and Morris asking 2 questions:
What do you expect from the Steering Committee? and
As we proceed more deeply into Transition, what will that look like to you?

Questions posed to Trainees by phone came up with directives including-
facilitate communications including teaching communications tools and face to face meetings-conduct a ‘Refresher’ or ‘Review’

Communications may be working group to emerge.
Perhaps a Communications Czar-ask if someone brings these skill** action item**
Perhaps a Google Group for continuing communications
Perhaps Study groups or Salons 5-10 peeps

Review of action items
Stacy invite package
Ted password protected page on WordPress site w/pictures
Jill agenda/timeline of Pot Luck to Stacy
Karen pix to Ted-ask about Scott pix
Tim digital projector for pot luck
Jill back-up projector from UCR

rest of the agenda tabled

Docs and Minute Log not responding. Minutes incl. **action items** from 10/18/11:

Transition Steering 10/18/11 Jill Stacy Lynn Ted Karen

Treasurer’s Report: $154
Action Items:Budget update – Stacy-not sent out
Pay Tawnja and Bobby – Jill-done
Agenda:1. T4T Eventa. group congratulations
b. Evaluation – all evaluations tabledc. evaluation of the trainers-tabledd. Budget update – Stacy-updated-$800 in the red- e. update on pay out plan – Jill-waiting for expenses from Trainers
f. Concerns about bank account and Paypal – Jill-bank is holding checks from PayPal also worth asking Scott Mc. about funds in a non-501.c.
3 staying under the IRS radar-is there this type of info on Trans. chat rooms?
g. Follow-up thank you emails to trainers, Bobby, Tawnja and volunteers – Karen Karen Tracy
h. follow up thank you email to all attendees-write to all attendees-draft **action item** thanking them for attending asking if they would like to be on our general gmail
Open Space pages distributed for typing to Kristen, donna, Ondina, Karen, Jill
**contact list update** Karen

2. T4T Follow up
a. organizing next meeting of T4T attendees; its form and content- decide to use Methodist Church Sunday Nov. 6 pot luck dinner-discussion of using Open Space Technology-send email to T4T participants asking for theme question**action item**bring together small advisory group?
**Rockland asked to be included**
what is the outcome expected?
what are 3 most critical steps? or what are 3 critical things in JT that need to happen that Transition is model for?
**2 questions: **call constituents ask what is expected from us (as Steering) and as we go deeper into Transition, what do you think that will look like?**
follow-up question: ask about their level of involvement in suggestions
b. Discussion: “Letting things go where they will go” as the organization gets larger – Jill -tabled
c. setting up potluck for discussion of 2 articles? – Stacy-tabledd.
Group commitment to read “Open Space Technology”? – Jill has book-Stacy has book-there is a webpage
3. Strategic Plan – Stacy Doolittle should this be reconsidered in the aftermath of T4T? – Jill-tabled
4. Charter – same as above – Jill Giegerich-tabled
5. Newsletter – same as above – Jill-ask Tawnja to look for software

Transition Steering 10/11/11

Stacy, Lynn, Jill, Ted, Karen

Treasurer’s Report:  $157 to be used as petty cash at Event

Food Group Report: acquired new members from Seed Exchange event

2 school gardens planted at JT Elementary and Onaga in Yucca

Janet is writing a position paper to be published in newspaper

T4T

Seamless formation of Working Groups is the ultimate result-Stacy will research the info  and have available as a handout

Julia and Douglas now offering hospitality-Stacy has room beyond Trainer Scott’s lodging

Registration update: Locals=28 Stop now, **turn off EventBrite buttons**Ted owns

Non-locals=9

Scott is ok with up to 40 participants and perhaps a couple more

Budget update: no grant funds and update not complete-Stacy expects a check for perhaps $1000

Wexton update: does not want to umbrella us-found legal advise-we are all relieved and know we need to have our own 501,c,3

Volunteer timeline: Jill has hand out and elaboration not included in h/o

Jill will be volunteer coordinator-send volunteers to her

**Jill will send definitions of tasks again online**

Ted believes he has a friend who will help

Bobby has been notified of our desire that he have accident/event rider on ins. We have done our due diligence.

P&H **Karen will handle sign-up sheet-any more than 10 for dinner, Karen will notify Stacy so that Linda has only one contact person**

Snack/Drinks update-Karen-needs input on coffee, kind and amount.

Tea is taken care of. Most of snacks are purchased. Need more sodas, since we are providing drinks for meal time. Have 3 dozen purchased. Rhonda is helping immensely w/snack ideas/prep and donations. Coffee can be Folgers. Will need creamer and sugar. Scott & Steve for large coffee brewer. Karen to have coffee made by 9a.m. both days.

Record keeping-keep all receipts for Stacy/Jill neither of whom want the job.

Pay Bobby Furst first. Then Shaktari and Scott. Get invoice from Tawnja.

Catering update-Jill has h/o of MOU w/Tawnja. MOU needs tweaking. Still need a volunteer to serve the lunch. Tawnja has cloth napkins for almost everyone.

Stacy will bring some cloth napkins, some cushions and flatware so we don’t have to use plastic.

Petition on casino. All who want to can sign. Lynn will be present Friday and will take petition to gathering on Sat.**Karen connect Lynn with Victoria of JTCA for sign-up info**

Gmail protocol-establish protocol for writing gmails to our list. To sign or not to sign our names? Tabled till after event.

Jill will announce at the Event that Stacy has been lead organizer.

Respectfully submitted

Karen

TRANSITION JOSHUA TREE

STEERING COMMITTEE MINUTES FOR 10/4/11

Present: Jill, Stacy, Karen, Ted

Check-ins and appreciations

No news from Food Group

****Agenda Review****

Google group-8 people have accommodation offers.

Karen sent email asking for phone numbers, will stay on top of helping people find accommodations.

Accommodations for Trainers-Jill sent out email but no response. Trainers might be able to stay at Stacys and/or Jills.

Jill has put catering on Facebook page, disposable vs. non-disposable plates and silverware was discussed. Cloth napkins will be provided.

Question brought up if Scott and Shaktari should pay for their lunches. It was decided they should pay.

25 Eventbrite tickets sold, 5 more have been opened up. Free ticket going to someone who needs it or absorb the cost. Will probably absorb the cost.

6 Regonlline tickets sold

Budget is currently short $818.

Jill talked to Scott about him having a lawyer at his disposal, he did not have a definite name for usage.

Jill talked to John Shuster about umbrella-ing TJT, as well as Rhonda. Both think it will be difficult to do. John says its nothing to rush into and the IRS will scrutinize any actions. To umbrella would mean to no longer have any control of organization. John may lend funds so T4T budget can break even.

A vote was taken and it was decided against umbrella-ing under another organization.

Karen wrote dossier on guests with a few blanks on people she didn’t know. Other members can fill if they know info.

Jill sent out request on Facebook for volunteers: no solid leads yet.

Stacy emailed Bobby about event insurance. Is waiting on a response. Possibility of T4T attendees signing a liability waiver was also discussed.

No potluck meeting this week: Lynn cannot attend.

Scott M. likes the idea of a group rate and will address each group as needed.

Excitement has built up over T4T and info packet should go out ASAP to maintain the excitement levels.

Regarding T4T seating, pillows should be brought for chairs without padding.

Ted will shadow Scott and Bobby to be there in case of technological failure.

Karen will hold down registration table.

It was decided fire dance and byob mixer will be cancelled. Everyone will go to JT Saloon instead.

****ACTION ITEMS****

Jill-align volunteers to roles, define volunteer specifics, and put in timeline

Karen-check if Thomas can house Shaktari

Jill-ask Tanya if catering includes serving of food

Stacy-call Bobby to see about dishes and other kitchen items

Jill-send Scott and Shaktari emails about food

Jill-see if Lynn can attend potluck next week

Jill-make schedule more generic

Someone-possibly write cancellation policy

Karen-create a signup sheet for Pappys

Ted-add Saturday Pappys dinner to info packet

Need volunteer to take Shaktari to airport

Karen-make contact list with phone #s

Stacy-check on price for flip charts and buy

Stacy and Karen-shop for snacks for T4T

Jill-make sure room setup is proper during T4T

Jill-write up Casino petition

Ted-newsletter omg you better do it

Ted-make discussed changes to info packet

Submitted by Ted

Transition Steering 9/20/11

Jill, Stacy, Ted, Karen-meeting at Stacy’s

Treasurer’s Report: check from online registration via Stacy’s mailbox given to Jill in the amount of $200.

$4.00 Stacy will place in treasury when available

Food Group report: Seed exchange on Sunday 9/18/11 was fun and recruited new members

Compost at Ricochet must move-problems associated with this compost discussed-no clear-cut resolution-including moving to the Church or repayment in good faith for Doug’s time or Rhonda’s wood.

In the future, Food group needs to have clear-cut contract with an end point unlike the compost at the church which according to Janet, they may just let go.

Previous Action Items

Jill-tell food group about compost press release-in the future, SOP will be for food group to have 3 week advance press release of their events, cleared thru Ted

Ted-Calling Cards-before next meeting-drafts ready-suggestions include Steering Committee Member in smaller font to be on one line-Stacy asks that names be removed so cards are Steering Committee Member, generic-Ted will size to biz card size-place PO Box # on card -maybe develop a “tag line” **action item for next meeting-next draft ready**

Ted-Expand newsletter to 4 pages-before next meeting-draft is 5 pages-Stacy had several changes to create 4 pages and fold format

Ted-Send newsletter in draft form-ASAP-not ready yet

Jill-email Scott about a Thursday public talk and about TJT presenting at T4T-not a good option in consideration of Scott’s flight time and a 6:30 presentation time **Action item Jill will call Scott to inform him: no Thurs. presentation option**

Ted-**Action Item-corrections to drop down items on website-before next meeting** Stacy had suggestions and offered to help Ted by working with him at Jill’s studio

Stacy-send out catering requests-before next meeting**Action Item-Karen will take over soliciting bids for 2 lunches**

Ted-licensing for alcohol at event research-before next meeting-application requires IRS or Franchise Tax Brd. #-not something that we have yet

Stacy-Ask Scott W. about Boeing money-before next meeting-has not yet arrived

Insurance-response from Scott: Insurance is responsibility of venue

**Action item-Jill to ask Bobby about event rider on his homeowner’s ins.**

TJT talk proposed to be given by Stacy and Jill Saturday a.m.to T4T-Scott says yes if it is very brief highlighting those issues that unite us

Kristen will entertain Friday night and bring fire dance troupe

T4T volunteers **Action item-Jill owns, will compile list of things we may want volunteers to do for us**

Budget-discussion of budget items estimated expenses vs. estimated income-Stacy will send Excel spreadsheet to Jill

**Action Item-call all local participants**

**Action Item-Stacy will do site plan and walk-thru w/Bobby**

**Action Item-assign seats-have named place-settings and name tags-who owns?**

**Action Item-Jill will see about moving the tables borrowed from Barnett**

Tabled Action Items/Next Agenda?

Timeline/script

Info/welcome packet

**Action item- Jill will call Scott to inform him: no Thurs. presentation option**

**Action Item-Ted-corrections to drop down items on website-before next meeting**

**Action Item-Karen will take over soliciting bids for 2 lunches**

**Action item-Jill to ask Bobby about event rider on his homeowner’s ins.**

**Action Item-call all local participants-Jill? to what purpose?**

**Action Item-Stacy will do site plan and walk-thru w/Bobby**

**Action Item-assign seats-have named place-settings and name tags-who owns?**

**Action Item-Jill will see about moving the tables borrowed from Barnett**

Respectfully Submitted

Karen

TRANSITION JOSHUA TREE

STEERING COMMITTEE MINUTES FOR 9/6/11

Treasure’s  Report: $150.00

Present : Jill, Lynn, Ted, Stacy

Food Group Report : Composter  turned over to Ricochet. Compost has been give to the local schools for their garden.. Turned tire gardens over to Ricochet.

Action Items: reviewed

Old Business:

* Stacy gave report on YMIA briefing. It went well. She shared the handout she gave. Recommendation to add URL.

* T4T Event

  1. Jill and Stacy will contact trainer about making a modification that allows for someone to talk about the unique desert context in which we live.
  2. Trainer will provide a public information meeting on Thursday before training. Location: Community UMC of Joshua Tree  Time: 7:00 p.m.
  3. Stacy is working on budget revision. Trainer’s travel will cost no more than $371. Assist. Trainer will need help getting to and from LAX>
  4. Registration update. There are 9 people on the waiting list. Jill and Stacy will ask trainer about when to open list up.
  5. TJT website for this event is complete. Recommended to Ted to make “What to Bring List” a drop-down menu.
  6. Catering update. None. Stacy is working on it. Will have info by next meeting.
  7. Google group for this event’s accommodations didn’t work out as planned. The info is available and believe attendees can work it out.
  8. Event Insurance. Jill will check and report by next vist
  9. Alcohol at reception. Ted suggesting having a cash bar at the welcome event. Discussion about ANC licensing followed.  He will check on it.

10.Newsletter. Ted is still working on it

11. Website update. Ted made updates

*Basin Wide table.

Stacy’s handout and Lynn’s sustainability practices will be used.

 *Calling cards – Ted will take for action. No deadline set

New Business:

  1. Boeing money (Where is it?). Stacy will check on it.

Next Meeting: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20 AT 5:00 pm (Lynn’s House or Jill’s studio TBD)

Action Items

  1. Ted-Calling Cards-before next meeting
  2. Ted-Expand newsletter to 4 pages-before next meeting
  3. Ted-Send newsletter in draft form-ASAP
  4. Jill-tell food group about compost press release
  5. Jill-email Scott about a Thursday public talk and about TJT presenting at T4T
  6. Ted-add what to bring as a drop down item on website-before next meeting
  7. Stacy-send out catering requests-before next meeting
  8. Ted-licensing for alcohol at event research-before next meeting
  9. Stacy-Ask Scott W. about Boeing money-before next meeting

 

 

TRANSITION JOSHUA TREE

STEERING COMMITTEE MINUTES FOR 9/6/11

Treasure’s  Report: $146.00

Food Group Report : Looking into turning composter over to Ricochet. Compost will likely be used for the Elementary School project. Turned tire gardens over to Ricochet. Upcoming gardening project with Onaga and JT Elementary Schools. Working on installment series on Permaculture.

Action Items: reviewed

Old Business:

 

  1. T4T Event
  1. Eventbright money orders and checks.

Didn’t seem to be a way to make change to add checks and money orders. Decided to leave it as it is.

  1. Regonline SNAFU. Set to receive checks and money orders but not credit cards. Jill noted that a membership number was needed to navigate. Might explain low out of town registration. Scott is checking on it.
  1. Wait List for Eventbright. Discuss next week when to open.
  1. Budget Update: Need to factor in travel expense for trainers? Stacy will check into it and report back next meeting.
  1. Google Groups. Jill asked how access happens. Stacy explained.  Discussion followed on why we need a group (coordinate local accommodations).  Decided to send a Gmail query to local participants asking who is willing to shelter visitors from out of town.
  1. Newsletter.

Ted reported that it needed a little more space to avoid serious truncating of articles. Decided to add extra page. He will send draft to committee members for review ASAP.

  1. Website update.

Thanks to Ted and Stacy. Stacy will show Jill how to make updates. Will need to discuss criteria for recommending other sites. Need to discuss how to promote new website.  Will discuss at next meeting.

Action Items to be added here:

Action Items for Meeting on 9-06-11

  1. Interview Jill for newsletter-Karen-Gone to Burning Man
  2. Finish updating WordPress Information Page-Stacy and Ted-ASAP
  3. Customize T4T generic agenda-Stacy-before next meeting
  4. Do bio for Transition website-Ted-ASAP
  5. Calling Cards-Ted-Indefinite
  6. Check on transportation costs for Scott and Shaktari-Stacy-before next meeting
  7. Send out email to T4T attendees asking if they wish to provide accommodations-Jill-before next meeting
  8. Expand newsletter to 4 pages-Ted-before next meeting
  9. Send newsletter in draft form after completion-Ted-ASAP
  10. Expand and edit WordPress informative documents-Ted-before next meeting
  11. Sustainable actions list-Lynn-before next meeting
  12. T-shirt iron-on vs. professional-Jill-before next meeting